Our goals and how we’re doing
In the Environment area we have four Group goals:
- Continuous reduction of waste in relation to cost of sales.
- Continuous reduction of water consumption in relation to cost of sales.
- A 50% reduction in the CO2 emissions from our energy in operations and transport of goods, in relation to the cost of sales, with the base year of 2018.
- A continuous increase in the percentage of significant suppliers with an approved environmental management system (EMS).
How we're doing
- We are very proud of our results in reducing CO2 emissions. In 2020, the CO2 emissions from energy in operations and transport of goods, in relation to cost of sales, decreased by 12%. In relation to the baseline of 2018, the total reduction achieved was 28%.
- We must remain vigilant in continuously reducing waste. Our production of waste in relation to cost of sales decreased from 597 kg in 2019 to 581 kg in 2020.
- We have more work to do to reduce our water consumption, which remained stable at 7.2 cubic meters in relation to cost of sales from 2019 to 2020.
- The percentage of suppliers with an approved EMS is moving in the right direction. It increased from 28 to 30 percent from 2019 to 2020.
How our goals relate to the UN Global Goals
Global Goal 6: Clean water
- We are working to continuously reduce our water consumption. Since 1984 Atlas Copco has supported the employee-driven initiative “Water for All”. Since its start more than 2 million people have gained access to clean water and improved sanitation.
Global Goal 7: Affordable and clean energy
- Atlas Copco undertakes a range of activities to reduce CO2 emissions from energy in operations and transport of goods, such as installing solar panels, buying renewable electricity and avoiding air freight.
Global Goal 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Energy efficiency in our products and service is a key selling point for Atlas Copco. The main environmental impact is in our customers’ use of our products. All projects for new and redesigned products must assess the environmental impact of the product. Products are developed with a life-cycle perspective.
Global Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production
- We strive to make production as efficient as possible and reduce waste. We seek to decrease the total waste produced. Our chemical handling follows strict protocols. Components that contain conflict minerals are not accepted and Atlas Copco monitors and screens its supply chain.