Our vision, mission and strategic focus
Our industrial ideas empower our customers to grow and drive society forward. This is how we create a better tomorrow.
Our vision is to become and remain First in Mind—First in Choice of our customers and other stakeholders. Our mission is to achieve sustainable, profitable growth. This means that we must create lasting results with responsible use of resources and with the highest business integrity.
Strategy and fundamentals for growth
To succeed in our mission, Atlas Copco strives for a leading position in selected markets and segments. This is achieved through innovations and by delivering leading differentiated technology. With products and services critical to the customers’ operations, Atlas Copco strives to support customers in their success. To support profitable growth over a business cycles, the Group aims to have an agile balance sheet and focuses on marketplaces with high service potential.
Our core values – interaction, innovation and commitment, reflect how we behave internally and in our relationships with external stakeholders. Learn more about our culture and values on our career page.
Atlas Copco sets ambitious targets to deliver sustainable, profitable growth. The targets have different time horizons: annual, three-year, over a business cycle, and by 2030 for the longer-term ambitions. Sustainability plays an important role in Atlas Copco’s vision and is an integral part of the Group’s mission. An integrated sustainable strategy, backed by ambitious targets, helps the company deliver greater value to all stakeholders in a way that is economically, environmentally and socially responsible. Learn more about how we measure our progress in these areas.
- Revenue growth measured over a business cycle should be 8%.
- Sustained high return on capital employed by constantly striving for operational excellence and generating growth.
- Earnings as dividends to shareholders should be about 50%.
- 30% female employees by 2030.
- Atlas Copco employees agree that they feel a sense of belonging in the company – above the global benchmark provided by the employee survey supplier and a continuous increase.
- Atlas Copco employees agree we have a work culture of respect, fairness and openness – above the global benchmark provided by the employee survey supplier and a continuous increase.
- Atlas Copco employees agree there is opportunity to learn and grow in the company – above the global benchmark provided by the employee survey supplier and a continuous increase.
- 100% of employees have signed the Group’s Code of Conduct compliance statement annually.
- 100% of new employees have participated in the Group’s ethics training within 12 months of joining the company.
- 100% of employees have participated in the Group’s ethics training every other year, starting 2023.
- 100% of significant suppliers have confirmed compliance with the Group’s Code of Conduct.
- 100% of significant distributors have confirmed compliance with the Group’s Code of Conduct.
Safety and well-being targets
- Atlas Copco Group employees agree that the company takes a genuine interest in their well-being. The rating in the employee survey should continuously increase.
- A balanced safety pyramid, with more reports of risk observations than near misses, more reports of near misses than minor injuries and more or equal reports of minor injuries relative to recordable injuries.
Climate and environment targets
- To keep the global temperature increase well below 1.5 degrees, -46% in the CO2e* emissions (tonnes) from scopes 1 & 2 by 2030, compared to the 2019 baseline.
- To keep the global temperature increase well below 2 degrees, -28% in the CO2e* emissions (tonnes) from scope 3 by 2030, compared to the 2019 baseline.
- Continuous increase in the % significant direct suppliers with an approved Environmental Management System.
- Continuous year-on-year reduction in water consumption in relation to cost of sales.
- 100% reused, recycled or recovered waste from internal operations by 2030.
Products and service targets
- 100% of projects for new and redesigned products have targets for reduced carbon impact.
- By 2024, the Atlas Copco Group has a Group-common methodology for assessing the circularity of new or redesigned products.
* CO2 refers to carbon dioxide, and CO2e stands for "carbon dioxide equivalent", which includes CO2 and other greenhouse gases. An equivalent is a measure of how much a gas contributes to global warming, relative to carbon dioxide.
- Material topics 2022-24 764.4 kB, PDF
Our principle of decentralized responsibility
Atlas Copco is a decentralized Group consisting of independent divisions, organized into four business areas. The main role of a business area is to develop leading technology within its business scope and to follow up on objectives and strategies. This also includes people, environmental and social performance. The divisions are our highest operational entities with their own profit responsibility. They are in charge of product development, manufacturing, marketing and sales. Each business area also has one or more dedicated service divisions. The divisions generally conduct business through local customer centers and designated product companies.