Lead Software Engineer – Eastbourne
Open up a world of opportunity, by joining Edwards Eastbourne at this exciting time, where we are expanding to meet customer demand. Our talented teams have been at the forefront of innovation for more than 100 years and our environments are where creativity thrives. With our Eastbourne site being responsible for creating motor controllers and drives, that in turn make the electronic equipment, (e.g. Smartphones) of the future.
The Lead Software Engineer will be the architect, leading the development and support for software to meet the business needs of Atlas Copco Vacuum Technique Divisions.
- Maintain awareness of product roadmaps and priorities in the Vacuum Technique Division as well as software related research developments taking place in the NTV department.
- Provide recommendations for new areas of software development that can be undertaken within the team or at alternative locations within the VT Division.
- Use specialist software knowledge to lead and direct the development of innovative software solutions that solve complex problems and deliver added value to Atlas Copco products.
- Develop software architectures for the use of others to ensure reliable, scalable and maintainable software products can be developed.
- Adopt a team-lead and/or SCRUM Master role to ensure the smooth running of software development in the team.
- Advocate for the protection of the resources on the team and conduct retrospectives after Sprint Reviews if development is within an Agile framework.
- Mentor and provide technical leadership to other members the development team, advising on how to drive work to completion to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.
- Champion the adoption of best practice within the team including alignment to established software development processes.
- Take the lead in ensuring that the team is clear when software is complete.
- Ensure best practice is followed when adding new tests and making sure code reviews are carried out at appropriate junctures.
- Ensure the regression test framework is maintained and automated.
- Provide the necessary test plans to ensure that the completion of work is well-defined and supports opportunities for automated regression testing, as well as quick-turn shippable software releases.
- Supervise, coach, develop and mentor team members to facilitate continuous improvement of the software development process.
- Supervise the release of production code, along with the required design and test documentation in line with company standards.
- Ensure an appropriate level of governance is applied to the release of software under permit or as part of an Engineering Change.
Skills / Knowledge / Experience:
- Bachelor or Masters degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related engineering discipline.
- Significant experience in developing software for supporting customer-deliverable electronics-based products.
- Strong understanding of software development processes.
- Must be a good communicator and have excellent fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience working in a global engineering environment and working with international teams to deliver software solutions. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary design environment
- Experience working in a regulated, compliance-driven industry
- Some experience in a project management role using both Waterfall and Agile (SCRUM) frameworks.
What we offer
We are a friendly team with a family feel, where people support each other, and you will be welcomed with a smile as you move around the site.
Our managers are dedicated to developing and supporting their teams, putting in place personal development plans to help you meet your personal goals. As part of the Atlas Copco Group, you have access to a world of opportunities with our internal development openings and an environment where individuals are empowered to act. Our mission in to be sustainable and profitable, delivering efficient production and reliable products. With a vision to be first in mind, first in choice to our customers.
- Pension with an employer contribution up to 8%
- Annual bonus starting at 7.5%
- Relocation package if applicable
- Health Cash plan, worth up to £860 per year
- Subsidised canteen
- Cycle to work scheme
- Valued recognition programme, earning gifts, vouchers, and long service awards
- 33 days holiday per year (inclusive of bank holidays)
- Wellbeing programme supporting, physical health, mental wellbeing, social connectedness, and sense of purpose
- Running club
- Fitness app, with stream-able classes
- Free fruit
We want to be a workplace for everyone. At Edwards we know that diversity and inclusion are critical to our long-term success. We know that diversity and inclusion help us understand our customers’ needs and strengthen employee motivation, productivity, innovation and results. Edwards invite applications from candidates looking for full time and job share opportunities.
Edwards is a leading developer and manufacturer of sophisticated vacuum products, exhaust management systems and related value-added services. Edwards solutions are integral to manufacturing processes for semiconductors, flat panel displays, LEDs and solar cells. They are also used within an increasingly diverse range of industrial processes including power, glass and other coating applications; steel and other metallurgy; pharmaceutical and chemical; and for scientific instruments in a wide range of R&D applications.
Edwards has over 4,000 employees worldwide engaged in the design, manufacture and support of high technology vacuum and exhaust management equipment. Edwards has state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Europe, Asia and North America.